14 April 2011

plot recall: pride and prejudice

As much as I like to pretend that, having read the SparkNotes for all these books, I'm just as cultured and knowledgeable as the people who've actually read them, I'm not.  I realized that today when, after reading the first chapter of Pride and Prejudice, I tried to recall what exactly I remembered about the book.  It's not impressive.  I couldn't carry on a conversation with someone about this book if a person was standing behind them with cue cards telling me the major plot points.  Because I wouldn't understand the context of them, the meaning of them, the people in them.  Here, let me prove it to you with my vast recollection of this novel's plot:
  • Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy fall in love, right?
  • And she has some sisters?
  • And one of them marries Mr. Bingley, who turns out to be an asshole?
That just about sums it up, no?

Let's hope my Nook charges quickly so I can get back to becoming cultured and intelligent and well-rounded.  That's right, all those things will result from my reading of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Content and Design © 2012 Re-Reading High School. All Rights Reserved.