30 April 2011

progress report one: axe the zombies

I knew I didn't like zombies.  A truth universally acknowledged when I got through a whopping two chapters of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies before throwing it down and shouting, "I hate zombies!"  I can't really trace my zombie hate back to any particular incidence (the way I can trace my werewolf hate back to having to read New Moon), but it's safe to say the side-by-side reading of classic and quirk is not going to happen.

I did, however, finish my five chapters of the original Pride and Prejudice.  It's really too soon for me to make any sort of judgement or even witty commentary, but what I can say is that my favorite character, by far, is Mrs. Bennet.  She's so haughty, I love it.  And her relationship with her husband brings a lot of humor to the story.  I truly look forward to continuing on with the book and can't wait for the romance to really start.

Completely aside, I have added two more books to the "Required Reading" list.  One was summer reading that I never did, The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel.  The second was the mysteriously forgotten senior year book that I could not for the life of me remember not reading: Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf.  Why the school decided to replace it with Beowulf is absolutely beyond me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Content and Design © 2012 Re-Reading High School. All Rights Reserved.